Friday, October 19, 2007

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

In the world today there is so much that can make life difficult, and oft times difficult to deal with. Life has this way of throwing things at you that test and trys one to the breaking point. And yet through all of this, life always seems to work out. I don't really understand how that works out, however I do know that it does. It always has, and always will.

Recently I found out that a friend is going through some tough times. always hard to hear about friends having difficulties, esspecially cause there is normaly nothing that we can do about it for them, except perhaps just be someone that they can talk to.

But as a result of this I have thought to myself "what do I do to find peace when the winds of change or tribulation are hitting me?" Well I have thought about it and I realize that there are some things that I do over and over again to help. I don't do it consciously but I am just drawn to things to help. So I shall share a few of them with all of you that may be reading this. I am not sure if there is anything that will help you, but who know there just might be something that might help out a bit.

one thing that I alwasy like to do is to play the guitar or sing. I love music, life is so simple when I am playing or making music. There is a song for every phase in life. Music can comfort one and take them somewhere where the troubles and worries are not, even if it is just for a couple of min it is always nice to have. Recently I have taken back to practicing the guitar agian. I primarly play classical music but I like to play other stuff as well. The reason I like the classical is due to the fact that it is hard. When I am playing it er rather trying to learn to there is not much else I can think about other than trying to make good music. I am sure most of you have your own thing with music, but for me it is a great tool to help.

The other thing that I like to do is play golf. I don't do it often, but when I do it really brings great relief to me. The reason why is cause when you are playing there is not any energy left to think about the troubles of the world. When your biggest worry in life is that you just hit a ball into the sand trap or the rough grass it is a good time. Cause you know what? Who cares where that ball lands? the game will go on and that one shot makes a whole day worth it. (hmm I think I know what my next blog is going to be about)

Now for the next couple of things that I like to do I am going to go the the gospel path. For those of you that may not know, but I am sure that most of you do, I am one that goes to church. I at times can be a little churchy, but I try hard to keep it personal, and between me and my closest friends, and family. However with that said one thing that I always do when life is hard, and I don't seem to have anywere else to turn I turn to prayer. I may not always get the answers, but I always get the peace, and I know that someone hears it. There is always an ear that is ready to hear me, even when it seems like there is no one that cares. that very thing has helped my more then anything. I find that when I forget this, and I forget that I need to throw a shout out to the Lord life thorws some serious curves at me, and they often drive me to my knees. These times have made me a better because of it. But anyway I don't want to go to much more into that, but it works, and it helps.

The other thing that I do is I try to help others. I find that when I go and help others that I forget about my own problems, and I get caught up in giving assistance to others, and makeing their life better. I am always glad to do that, and it help me keep perspective in tough times.

The last thing that I like to do is go up to the DC Mormon Temple. It is a great place, and when you are there you just feel a peace that you don't feel many other places. Even on the grounds. I love it there. Many a hard choices came from thinking there.

Well anyway, I hope that this is of some use to someone somewhere. I know that this all sounds simple. I know that when life is beating you down and down that it is hard to get the peace of mind that we all seek. However it is there, and there is some other power somewhere that is looking after us and is trying to help us.

Is it Really. . .something that we can handle? Is it really ever going to be better? Two questions that I know from time to time that I ask myself.

"In your hour of doubt
lonliness or fear
just listen to your heart
and this is what you'll hear

You're not alone
even tho right now you're on your own
you are loved in ways that can't be shown
you needs are known
your not alone

And when you cry
you're just letting go a heart ache deep inside
So tomorrow there'll be sunshine and sky
and love close by; You're not alone

And I know that it's not easy
but I know that it won't last
Cause one who loves you more than me
He is sending his blessings fast

you're not alone
say it one more time, "I'm not alone"
And even when it's hard to find the words
your prayers are always heard
your not alone"

Michael McLean - "You're Not Alone"
- this song has brought me so much peace over the years singing it to myself. I hope that perhaps it can bring you some as well.

3 comments:

Epijunkiejen said...

Actually the Sister missionary I talked to the other day played that hymn for me. I love that song. It actually does bring a great deal of peace. Oh, and you feel peace at the Temple until I call you and start yelling about Optimus Prime. :P

Chris Terrell said...

lol yea. . . optimus. . . . . . :P

Sara said...

Chris, you rock! If there's ever a day I needed to read anything like this it's today. :) Thanks for the unintentional pick-me-up.