Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The jobs that we do.

There is something things that we all must do. We all must breathe for example. We all must beat our heart. Of course those are very fundamental things that we all must do. However even though we do them, we do them in different ways. Some are more diligent is making it happen or not. I am not going to talk about how we all breathe differently but I was just trying to paint a pic that even with the most basic of things we still perform them differently.

The aspect that I am going to talk about at this time is working. Some of us have a Job. Others perhaps have a Career. Within each of those we all have a different mentality about how we view it. Some of us are just there to make a paycheck, and others are there to get the job done because it is not about the money, and everything in between.

So what are you doing where you work? Are you just there to get your paycheck? Are you just like every other person in your place of work? Or do you come to work and try to learn more, and become the best at what you do?

I have had the wonderful opportunity of being a “boss”. With that came firing and hiring people. I had to choose when to give people a promotion, or when they needed a raise. With doing this I have seen lots and lots of different kinds of people come to work for me. I work in the cleaning industry and the bulk of those people that I had under me were cleaners. At various level of course with in the cleaning field. Some were just hourly cleaners and other were supervisors of an account. There were others that did not clean at all, but performed some other task that I would need done. No matter what the job there was certain qualities that I saw made a great employee.

Some were there and took great pride in what they do. They came to work and worked hard, and got their job done, and went above and beyond the scope of what they had to do. There were others that had a more prestigious job position, and they just “did their job”. Are they a bad person or worker for this? Well no of course not they just have a different mentality about their job than the other person does. So who would get more opportunities to grow and become more successful? Well the first one of course. A person that works like that is going to learn, grow, and become better at what they do no matter what I do. I can give the other person more opportunities to grow that they are still going to do “just a job”.

So what is the point that I am trying to get across to you blog people? Well I don’t know if there is much of one other than what I asked. Do you just do your job, or do you do more? Do you take pride in whatever it is that you may do? It is not the job that you do that matters in the great scheme of things, but rather it is how you do the job that really matters. I guess this could be a pep talk that you might get from an employer that wants to get a little more out of you. Tell them that they can thank me and send me money if they would like. I know that when I work hard, and get better at anything, no matter how unimportant people may think that it is. I feel good about myself. I feel like I got something done.

Is it really how you do the job that matters? It is really that big of a deal if I want to just make a paycheck? I guess in your life you will see and find out for yourself.

1 comment:

Epijunkiejen said...

I totally agree. In my career if we do our jobs halfway people die. I don't understand how people pick careers they are not passionate about. Since we spend much of our lives working, isn't this one place where we can change the world in our own small way? Does that make any sense? Anyways, I'm grateful for growing up in the country and parents who taught me the value of hard work, as I am sure are you.