Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sports and egos

I just got back from playing one of my favorite sports. Thats right the wonderful hippie sport of Ultimate Frisbee. I really do enjoy it a lot. It is a fun sport and it usually has great sportsmanship with it. Even with playing "for real" as in with a set team that practices together and goes to tornys and what not, the sport is self . . . .regulated? I am not sure the word that I am looking for but I am trying to say that there are no refs.

Well now this is normally a very fun thing, people are honest and get along and what not. All the time?? Not so much. I wish that were the case.

Now I know that you are not really wanting to read a Blog about Ultimate Frisbee, but it was what I was doing when the thoughts came to me so there for it will be the example for tonight. But feel free to use anything else, as this seems to be something that is EVERYWHERE in the casual sports world.

So what was happening is we would have a lot of people some to play every Thurse night. Well here in the DC area we have a large influx of new people that come to play, as there are a lot of interns and people home for the summer from school. So people all have different ways of playing this sport. Now granted just like almost every sport other than Cavlin Ball, there are "set rules" that exist. You can look them up online, shoot there are even books with this info in it. So anyway people generally don't know anything for sure when it comes to rules. (check out the last blog)Of course people are not going to say the words "I don't know" I mean you would look ignorant and no one would care, what you say from then on out and you must not know how to play.

Okay of course that is not how it would be. but people seems to think that is will. So as we are playing there is a slight confusion about the rules. The problem was about standing there and not throwing the disk. Normaly you are supposed to count and if you have not thrown it by that time then you give up the disk. Pretty standard rule right? Well for some reason the person who started it all up here where we play elected to not have that rule (among many others.) Well tonight some one said that I held it too long. Ok fine I will give him that, but there is no rule saying that I need to get rid of it. So I am going to wait till there is a clean throw. Well I responded to the person, start counting then. They said ok I said as long as we all agree then hey we are cool. I did not hear any complaints, and we were not quiet about it either so we moved on.

Well as we started someone just sat there I yelled to my team to start counting which they did. Some one else on the other team wigged out and was like whats that? I asked him if he did not hear that we are going to start counting to 10. he said no, and so I the repeated myself and said that the defender has the option to count if they so choose (as the real rules states(yes I have read them, and even have them memorized)) He seemed to be ok with it and then later could not seem to be ok with it when ever we counted, and yet we held on to the disk and they would not count. They then in turn would get mad at us for just hanging on to the disk.

Wow this sounds like a rant about what happened. Anyway I am getting to to point now. So we have people that all want things done the way that they are used to it being done. When you introduce change to it, it seems that people just generally have a problem assimilating it into there brain. Something as simple as a rule in a sport. So the ego kicks in and people then start to bicker. It was starting to happen there but I left before it did cause I did not want it to get to that point with me there.I

It seems that men are worse than girls. but. .. . .you know what? I just lost interest in this so I am going to stop now. All I gotta say is, "People quit being stupid, just say I don't know figure something out, and stop fighting. You look retarded when you argue about something stupid anyway."

Peace out all

2 comments:

Epijunkiejen said...

I know where you're coming from. Me personally...yeah, I only choose to do contact sports if they're co-ed, hahaha :P. But that can also get really dangerous. I'm pretty sure that one could end in an actual fight. Uh yeah...we all have tempers. Mormons just seem to be worse than most when it comes to sports and starting arguments/ fights. Go figure.

Epijunkiejen said...

P.S. Don't be such a wimp...cowboy up!