Thursday, January 29, 2009

DC Weather Wimps

Wow! I agree with Obama 100% on something. He referred to DC Residents as "weather wimps" and I must say that I agree with his statement.

The fact that DC schools, and Offices close at the slightest bit of snow is absurd. As a former Chicago Resident myself I understand where Obama is coming from. Chicago is quite possibly one of the coldest places I have ever been. I know that EVERYONE says that about their state, and town, but unless you have gone trough an average Chicago winter you don't even know. A bad one would literally kill many people who are not from there.

in my 5 five year tenure there as a school attending resident I never once saw my school get canceled on account of weather. People here say it is because we are not equipped to handle the snow. Well that is not the reason at all. Chicago deals with it just the same as we do here, the people just know how to drive in it, and they are not wimps.

Picture 10 degree with a windchill that pushes it to -10 or more. (if you have never experience a -10 degree windchill, it is worse that 30 below) 3 feet of show with ice below it, and me standing at the bus stop to wait on the bus along with every other resident of Chicago. And yes, we still go out during recess when it is that cold. You just wear a coat. (and a good coat I might add)

Now picture this. 23 degrees and windchill at 19 degrees, 1/4 inch of ice with 1 inch of snow. and everyone is sitting at home and the whole city shuts down. by 10 am the roads are fine, and people still don't go anywhere.

well I knew that Obama and I had to agree on something, and here it is. DC residents are wimps compared to a Chicago one. (referring to winter)

No comments: