Tuesday, January 22, 2008

President, Change and Faith


Change, Change, Change, Change, Change, Change it is all I seem to hear from everyone. I think that I am about all changed out. Thank you Barrack for bringing this word to all of us.

The word change is becoming more and more of a buzz word each and every single day that the political race goes on. The last debate that I put myself through all I heard was the word change. Well let me tell you that my faith in politicians tends to go down with all of this talk. Talk is cheap, and a lot of the people in the political world seem to be full of this talking business. People forget that our govt is set up in such a way to prevent one person from doing HUGE changes. It takes many people to get something done. People can get in the way of it, and people can help it. Sure the president has some more power to do things on his or her own, but in reality to enact a lot of the changes that they are talking about they are not really going to be able to do it on their own. I am ok with this and I understand this, however, many people refuse to look at this little detail.

I want to hear about their ability to be able to motivate people to want to change. Just saying “I am going to bring change” does not cut it for me. I want a candidate that has gotten stuff done and not on their own, but through the use of the people around them. The President is going to need to be able to do this, and do it well to be able to get the really important things accomplished in 4 years.

I really don’t want to bash or buildup a particular candidate this entry, but merely state what I think in regards to something that I feel a candidate should do. There is one more things that I have touched on before that it very important to me in the next president. I want a president that gets down on their knees. I want a President that recognizes there is a higher power out there, and that he or she does not have all of the answers to everything. I don’t care what the religion is, but I want one that believes in God. Whether it is Christian or Jew or any other religion that recognizes the need for divine help on certain issues it is good with me.

The President is going to make some very important choices, and some of them will cost people’s lives. At some point the president is going to have to pick from really crappy choices. They are going to have to do the right thing, and at times that is not the popular choice. I want a person that I know has thought about everything, and that knows that there is someone out there that has all the answers and that is there to help out with tough choices, and asks for this help

This is not a role that a faithless person should have.

Is it really a job that a person can do alone? Is it really possible for one person to enact big change? These are just a couple questions that I like to think about from time to time.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

Amen. Today I was fortunate to hear a historian who has studied the lives of all the presidents. He said that the ones that in hindsight did the most for the country weren't the most popular ones but the one that political courage to do what they knew was right and not what would make them popular and get them reelected. He suggested that the most important things to look for in a candidate are if they have previously shown political courage and if they have more going on in their lives then just their political career such as a family, or other interest. He suggested we look carefully at each candidate and determine which candidate we believe has the political courage to be president. I think you know who that would be!